Thursday, September 12, 2019

Little Nemo Review

Today’s class had us reading classic Sunday comics of old and write what we thought about one of them. For me, I decided to give my take on Winsor McCay’s Little Nemo in Slumberland.

As a pioneer in animation and major influence for the upcoming Walt Disney himself, Winsor McCay’s marvelous illustrations of Little Nemo already demonstrates what’s next for the future of animation and storytelling. Example; Despite some characters’ movements and talk, a background will almost always stay the same. This often reminds me of classic cell animation, whereas someone paints a large landscape, someone animates a character/object’s movement separately, places it on top, then a camera follows our subject around the scene. Basically a continuation shot. Very much so like cartoons then and even now.

Another example is a sense of whimsy and imagination. Every little thing, from color to characters to story; many comics come together to give the aura of childlike wonder and joy to any reader. Vibrant colors, lovable characters, a feeling of dreams becoming reality; all of it’s really here. All in every stroke of ink. I mean without that sort of wonder or imagination in his animation/comics, it’s possible there’d been no Walt Disney stories to this day.

What do I think?Well, sure the structure and detailed wording may be hard to follow for someone like me, but I’ll certainly give credit where it’s due. I’d say be glad and thankful for Little Nemo. Without him or his ‘father’, Winsor McCay, it’s highly possible animation and storytelling as we know them wouldn’t be here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment