Thursday, November 21, 2019

Assessment: Killing Joke Review

What is your reaction to the text you just read?
While not a personal fan of certain superhero comics, I can say the dialogue I've read so far can certainly draw you in from time to time. Most people are used to the Joker as a sort of goofball villain that literally can't be taken seriously. The Killing Joke on the other hand shines a new light on the Joker, going layer by layer into his past, motivations and psychological mindset. That to me is something I certainly enjoyed the most.

What connections did you make to the story you just read?
Don't worry, I'm no psychopath. No I'm not risking mine or anybody's life at the moment. However, that doesn't mean I can't be troubled in my mind. As I said, The Killing Joke explores the history and mindset of the Joker. It's in this history that we see his once normal life, his tragedy and eventual molding into what he is today. Clearly he's a man who's life has hit him far beyond coming back from insanity. I think I can safely say that I, as well as a few others, often feel this way from time to time. Life tries to tear us apart sometimes. Sometimes to a point of no return. Sometimes to the point of losing our minds. The only difference is I still have my sanity at the moment.

What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium?
Gotta say, I'm not too sure. The Killing Joke has already been adapted into an animated film, so there's that. Maybe if there was a chance to do it all again, perhaps tweak up the dialogue in terms of tone and/or certain wording. Based on what I read so far, explore a little more into how and why everybody is where and whom they are today. Other than that, I'm cool with how everything is as it stands. I mean, this is Tim Burton's favorite Batman comic this far, why bother changing almost anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment